The jute industries are majorly located in eastern region of the country. About 25% of the workforce are enrolled in the jute industry. 80% of the industries are in West Bengal only. The reasons for the high concentration of Jute Industries are as follows:
- Soil: The alluvial conditions of Eastern Bengal offer ideal environment for jute cultivation. Thus, availability of raw jute makes jute textile manufacturing the most prominent industry in the state.
- Transportation: Inexpensive water transport supported by a good network of railways, roadways and waterways facilitates movement of raw materials, finished products and mill equipments to the mills.
- Water availability: The industry requires huge amount of water for processing jute, which is
provided by the Hooghly river.
- Cheap labour: The jute industry is labour intensive. The labour is abundantly present in the region and adjoining areas of Bihar and Odisha.
- Energy: Iron and coal which are required for the installation and running of jute factories are also available from the nearby mines of Raniganj.
- Geographical Location: Bangladesh is another major grower of Jute. The jute mills in Bengal get abundant local and imported supply from Bangladesh.
- Market: Kolkata as a large urban centre provides banking, insurance and port facilities for export of jute goods.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-