LC is not an effective body as that of Rajya Sabha. It is just a dilatory chamber. Even constitution does not grant the powerful status to council. The existence of the council depends upon the will of the assembly which itself reduces its stature. The areas which accord unequal status are:
- A Money Bill can be introduced only in the assembly and not in the council. The council cannot amend or reject a money bill. It should return the bill to theassembly within 14 days, either with recommendations or withoutrecommendations.
- The assembly can either accept or reject all or any of the recommendation of thecouncil. In both the cases, the money bill is deemed to have been passed by the twoHouses.
- The final power of passing an ordinary bill also lies with the assembly. At the most,the council can detain or delay the bill for the period of four months—three monthsin the first instance and one month in the second instance. In other words, thecouncil is not even a revising body like the Rajya Sabha; it is only a dilatory chamberor an advisory body.
- The council can only discuss the budget but cannot vote on the demands for grants(which is the exclusive privilege of the assembly).
- The council cannot remove the council of ministers by passing a no confidence motion. This is because, the council of ministers is collectively responsible only to the assembly. But, the council can discus and criticize the policies and activities of the Government.
- When an ordinary bill, which has originated in the council and was sent to the assembly, is rejected by the assembly, the bill ends and becomes dead.
- The council does not participate in the election of the president of India and representatives of the state in the Rajya Sabha.
- The council has no effective say in the ratification of a constitutional amendment bill.In this respect also, the will of the assembly prevails over that of the council.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-
- CGPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- CGPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- CGPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- CGPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes