- Chhattisgarh fourth in employment generation under MGNREGA
- Chhattisgarh has been placed in fourth position in 2019-20 fiscal under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) among top 10 states in the country. Similarly, the state is placed in the 5th position in timely payment under the scheme.
- In the last four months from April to July 651.3 lakh mandays of employment was generated while till July 102 percent of work has been completed. In current fiscal year till July, 638.77 lakh mandays was fixed as target.
- Government of India has sanctioned 13 crore mandays under MGNREGA to state in current fiscal year. The department has already sent proposal for increasing the mandays based on the present target.
- The state has been placed in 5th position for time bound completion of labour payment where 92.06% workers fund transfer order has been handed over to Government of India. National average for Work completion (labour budget progress) is 79 % and for labour payment it is 85.74%.
· Canada to create a protected marine area in Arctic region
- Canadagovernment plans to create a protected marine area in the country’s Arctic region. The move is after a severe climate change that took effect three times faster than global average weather.
- Multiple species in the coast of Baffin Island,in Canada’s northeastern Arctic archipelago are threatened by the Glacial melting and maritime traffic.
- The move aims to protect marine area in arctic regionsand protect the populations of belugas, narwhals, walruses, seals, polar bears and thousands of other species who depend on year-round sea ice to survive.
- Maharashtra to get world’s first ultra-fast Hyperloop project
- Maharashtra has granted infrastructure project status for a $10 billion plan to establish the world’s first ultra-fast hyperloop project.
- The projects aim to link Mumbai with the neighbouring city of Pune.
- Hyperloops use magnets to levitate pods inside an airless tube, creating conditions in which the pods can shuttle people and freight at speeds of up to 1,200 km per hour.
- The status could help fast-track land acquisition for the project over a 117.5 km stretch that will shuttle people between the cities in about 35 minutes.
· State Bank of India and Shanghai becomes first Indian bank to link up with CNAPS
- State Bank of India’s Shanghai branch linked to China’s National Advanced Payment System (CNAPS). It is the first Indian Bank to operationalize it. The CNAPS, launched in 2008 by the People’s Bank of China (PBOC) provides real-time settlement services for all payments cleared in China. The CNAPS system is complemented by its international counterpart, the CIPS (China International Payments System or Cross-Border Interbank Payment System) launched in 2015
- To boosting international use of the Chinese currency, yuan. The participants from multiple countries across the globe participated.
· RS passed the Repealing and Amending Bill
- Rajya Sabhapassed the Repealing and Amending Bill, 2019. The bill will repeal redundant and absolute The Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on 29 July.
- The Bill aims to ensure minimum legislation and maximum governance as it is a continuous process. It will repeal 58 old central lawsthat has been used to achieve maximum governance. A committee constituted by the government has identified 1824 old laws. Previously 1,428 old and archaic central Acts and about 75 laws have been repealed till date.
- The Bill will make amendments to two Acts that are related to the substitution of certain words in theIncome Tax Act, 1961 and the Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017.
- The Bill will repeals various Acts, such as the Beedi Workers Welfare Fund Act, 1976,the Tea (Amendment) Act, 1980, the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2001, the Central Road Fund (Amendment) Act, 2007, and the Central Universities Act, 2009.
· LS passed Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial Amendment Bill
- Lok Sabha, the lower house, cleared theJallianwala Bagh National Memorial (Amendment) Bill, 2019. The amendment will remove the position of Congress president as a permanent memberof a trust that runs the Jallianwala Bagh National Memorial. The Bill was passed with 214 in favour and 30 against it.
- After the removal of the Congress chiefas a member, the leader of the single largest Opposition party in the Lok Sabha will be added as a member of the trust.
The amendment bill empowers the central government to terminate the term of a nominated trustee even before the expiry of the tenure without assigning any reason.
· Centre is to prepare National Population Register by 2020 September
- Centrehas decided to prepare a National Population Register (NPR) by September 2020 across the country.
- The collection of information of all citizens who are residing residing within the jurisdiction of local registar,except Assam, will be undertaken between the 1st day of April, 2020 to 30th September, 2020.The notification regarding NPR was issued by Vivek Joshi, Registrar General of Citizen Registration and Census Commissioner.
- The move aims to lay the foundation forpan-India National Register Citizens (NRC). Registering in the NPR is mandatory for every usual resident of India.
NPR aims to create a comprehensive identity database of every usual resident in the country. All the demographic and biometric particulars will be contained in the database.
Gk bit : National Population Register
- NPR is generally a register of usual residents of the country. For the entry of NPR, a usual resident can be defined as a person who has resided or intent to live in a local area for past six months or more.
- Under the provisions of the Citizenship Act 1955and the sub-rule(4) of rule 3 of the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003, the NPR will be prepared at the village and the sub-town level, sub-district, district, state and national level. The Centre has made it compulsory that every usual resident of India must register in the NPR.
· UGC recommends 20 educational centres for status of Institutions of Eminence
- University Grants Commission (UGC) released a list of 20 institutes .There are 10 public and 10 private for the grant of the status of Institutions of Eminence (IoE).The institutions which are given IoE status from public category includes, Delhi University, BHU, Hyderabad University and IIT Madras and Kharagpur.
- The UGC made the recommendations on the report of the Empowered Expert Committee set up by the government under the chairmanship of N Gopalaswami. Jadavpur University and Anna University can be considered for issue of the IoE status only after the respective State Governments have issued an official communication allocating their share of the funds (up to 50%).
- CGPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- CGPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- CGPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- CGPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes