· C’garh 19th in Sustainable Development Goals Index: Centre
ð Chhattisgarh has stood 19th among states in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index of NITI Aayog with a score of 53.
ð The NITI Aayog had released the Baseline Report of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index, which comprehensively documents the progress made by India’s States and Union Territories towards implementing the 2030 SDG targets.
ð The SDG India Index, which was developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI), Global Green Growth Institute and United Nations in India.
ð NITI Aayog has the twin mandate to oversee the implementation of SDGs in the country, and also promote Competitive and Cooperative Federalism among States and UTs.
ð The world is now into the third year of the SDG era. The SDGs are ambitious global development goals that address key aspects of universal well being across different socio-economic, cultural, geographical divisions and integrate the economic, social and environmental dimensions of development.
ð India’s National Development Agenda is mirrored in the SDGs. India’s progress in SDGs is crucial for the world as the country is home to about 17% of the world population.
ð The Index spans 13 out of 17 SDGs. Progress on SDGs 12, 13 & 14 could not be measured as relevant State/UT level data were not available and SDG 17 was left out as it focuses on international partnerships, it informed.
ð A composite score was computed between the range of 0-100 for each State and UT based on their aggregate performance across 13 SDGs, which indicates average performance of State/UT towards achieving 13 SDGs & their respective targets.
ð The SDGs follow and expand on the millennium development goals (MDGs), which were agreed by governments in 2001 and are due to expire at the end of this year.
ð 17 SDG goals
1) End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2) End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
3) Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
4) Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
5) Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
6) Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
7) Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
8) Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
9) Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation, and foster innovation
10) Reduce inequality within and among countries
11) Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
12) Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
13) Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
14) Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
15) Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss
16) Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
17) Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalise the global partnership for sustainable development
· New Zealand to phase out plastic shopping bags from July 1,2019
- New Zealandgovernment announced regulations for mandatory phase-out of single-use plastic shopping bags with effect from July 1, 2019.
- The phase-out will apply to all new plastic shopping bags with handles that are made of plastic up to 70 microns in thickness.
· Nevada becomes 1st US state with female-majority Legislature
- Twenty-threeof the 42 available State Assembly seats will now be represented by a woman.
- This came after Clark County Commissioners appointed Rochelle Thuy Nguyenand Beatrice Angela Duran to Las Vegas-area legislative seats.
- With nine of the state’s 21 Senate seats also held by women, it means that 32 of the 63 total seats in the state legislature will be held by a female representative.
- It is the first time a state has seen that level of representation in US history.
· India overtakes Germany to become seventh largest Stock Market
- India’s stock market has overtaken Germany’s to become the seventh-largest in the world with a market capitalisation of $2.08 trillion.
- This is the first timein seven years that India moved past the equity market of Europe’s largest economy, according to Bloomberg.
- At $27.07 trillion, USis world’s biggest stock market, followed by China ($5.46 trillion) and Japan ($5.41 trillion).
- GST reduced on 23 items and services; revised rates effective from 1st of January
- The GST Council has reduced tax rates on 23 goods and services, including movie tickets, TV and monitor screens and power banks. With this, only 28 goods are left in the highest 28 per cent tax bracket. Monitors and TV screens up to 32-inches and power banks will attract 18 per cent GST, as against 28 per cent earlier.
- GST on movie tickets costing up to 100 rupees was cut to 12 per cent from 18 per cent, while tickets over 100 rupees will attract 18 per cent tax, against 28 per cent earlier.
- The services supplied by the banks to Jan-Dhan account holders will be exempted from GST. Now 28 percent slab rate is applicable on cement and auto parts and luxury items like Air Conditioner and dishwasher. The new GST rates will be effective from the 1st of next month.
- The Council also approved a proposal to form a seven Member Group of Ministers to study the revenue trend, including analyzing the reasons for structural patterns affecting the revenue collection in some of the states.
· Government authorises 10 agencies to snoop on your computer
- The Intelligence Bureau, Narcotics Control Bureau, National Investigation Agency,Enforcement Directorate, Central Board of Direct Taxes, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, Central Bureau of Investigation, Cabinet Secretariat (R&AW), Directorate of Signal Intelligence (For service areas of Jammu & Kashmir, North-East and Assam only) and Commissioner of Police have been issued the order.
- The user or the service provider in charge of any computer resource will be bound to extend all facilities and technical assistance to the agencies.
- The Home Affairs ministry gave the authorisation under 69(1) of the Information Technology Act, 2000 under which the government can direct any agency in the interest of the sovereignty, defence of India and security of the state among other reasons.
· Andhra, Himachal and Madhya Pradesh best performing states under maternity benefit programme PMMVY: MoSWCD
- Minister of State for the Women and Child Development Ministry released the performance of states and UTs under the maternity benefit programme named Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana.
- Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh topped the charts as the best performing states.
- According to the finding, 51.70 lakh beneficiaries are covered annually under the PMMVY.
- CGPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- CGPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- CGPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- CGPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes