Divisions and Districts of Chhattisgarh
- After Indian Independence, the princely states were merged with the Central Provinces and Berar to form the new state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Present-day Chhattisgarh comprised seven districts of Madhya Pradesh.
- The former states of Kanker and Bastar formed the new Bastar District, the parts of Surguja, Korea, and Chang Bhakar formed the new Surguja District, and the states of Nandgaon, Khairagarh, and Kawardha formed the new Rajnandgaon District.
- In 1998, the seven districts that make up present-day Chhattisgarh were reorganized to form 16 districts.
- Dantewada and Kanker districts were split from Bastar; Dhamtari District was split from Raipur; Janjgir-Champa and Korba districts were split from Bilaspur; Jashpur District was split from Raigarh; Kawardha District was formed from parts of Bilaspur and Rajnandgaon; Koriya and Surajpur District was split from Surguja; and Mahasamund District was split from Raipur.
- On November 1, 2000 these 16 districts were split from Madhya Pradesh to form the new state of Chhattisgarh.
- Two New Districts Are Added Afterwards. On January 1, 2012 Chhattisgarh Government announced 9 New Districts.
- Total No. of Districts in Chhattisgarh is now 27.
- A district of an Indian state is an administrative geographical unit, headed by a district magistrate or a deputy commissioner, an officer belonging to the Indian Administrative Service.
- The district magistrate or the deputy commissioner is assisted by a number of officials belonging to different wings of the administrative services of the state.
- A superintendent of Police, an officer belonging to Indian Police Service is entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining law and order and related issues.
Chhattisgarh state consists of 27 districts and 5 divisions:
|Bastar Division||Durg Division||Raipur Division||Bilaspur Division||Surguja Division|
Dantewada (Dakshin Bastar)
Kanker (Uttar Bastar)
Major Districts with their HQ and Respective districts Major Cities
|District||Headquarter||Largest City||Other Major Cities|
|Bilaspur||Bilaspur||Bilaspur||Kota(Kargi Road), Pendra Road, Bilha|
|Durg||Durg||Bhilai-nagar||Charoda, Kumhari, Patan|
|Raigarh||Raigarh||Raigarh||Kharsia, Gharghora, Sarangagarh|
|Janjgir–Champa||Janjgir||Janjgir-Naila/ Champa||Shakti, Akaltara|
|Baloda Bazar-Bhatapara||Baloda Bazar||Bhatapara||Kasdol|
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-