- C’garh among six states with more female prisoners in jails
- Chhattisgarh, Goa, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal and Delhi had more female prisoners than the capacity of the respective jails as on December 31, 2016.
- As per information compiled by National Crime Records Bureau, a total of 18498 female prisoners were lodged in different jails of the country against the available capacity of 26068 as on 31.12.2016. The occupancy may vary on different days during the year.
- ‘Prisons’ is a State subject. The management and administration of prisons, including provision of adequate health facilities in prisons, primarily falls in the domain of State Governments, it informed.
- However, the Ministry of Home Affairs has been providing support and guidance to the States through various advisories issued from time to time and also by sharing recommendations of various Committees, Commissions, Working Groups and Court directions etc. aimed at improving the condition of women prisoners in jails, the Government informed.
- As per information compiled by the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB), 18498 female prisoners were lodged in different jails of the country as on December 31, 2016.
- A total of 6328 female prisoners were lodged in central jails of the country as on December 31, 2016.
- Information on number of prisoners who are behind bars without hearing of cases is not maintained by NCRB separately, it informed.
· Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Resigns To Smooth Path For Political Reform
- Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn suddenly resigned in what he described as a bid to smooth reforms, following years of violent unrest that threatened the ruling party’s hold on Africa’s second most populous nation.
- The resignation has unprecedented in Ethiopia’s history – followed a wave of strikes this week in towns near the capital and demonstrations successfully demanding the release of more opposition leaders.
- K P Sharma Oli becomes Nepal PM for second time
- CPN-UML chairperson K P Sharma Oli has become Nepal’s Prime Minister for the second time.
- President Bidhya Devi Bhandari appointed 65-year-old Oli as the country’s 41st prime minister.
- Oli, who is known for his pro-China stance, had served as the country’s prime minister from October 11, 2015 to August 3, 2016.
- Earlier, former prime minister Sher Bahadur Deuba had addressed the nation and submitted his resignation to the president.
- Cyril Ramaphosa elected President of South Africa
- Cyril Ramaphosa has been elected as South Africa’s new president by ruling party legislators after the resignation of Jacob Zuma.
- Ramaphosa was the only candidate nominated for election in the parliament after two opposition parties said they would not participate.
- Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng presided over the parliamentary election.
- The country’s 400-member parliament, dominated by the ruling African National Congress Party (ANC), elected Ramaphosa to finish his predecessor’s term, which ends with elections in 2019.
- The ANC has finished first in every national vote since the end of white-minority rule in 1994.
· China to host 2018 SCO Summit at Qingdao in June
- China will host 2018 Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Summit at Qingdao, eastern Shandong Province in June 2018.
- China had taken over rotating chair of SCO after17th SCO summit concluded in Astana, capital of Kazakhstan in June 2017.
- SCO is a Eurasian economic, political and security organization headquartered in Beijing, China. It was founded in 2001.
- The full members of the organization are headquartered in Beijing, China. It was founded in 2001.
- Prime Minister to inaugurate World Sustainable Development Summit 2018
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, will inaugurate the 2018 edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS 2018) at VigyanBhawan in the capital on 16thFebruary.
- WSDS is the flagship forum of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) and seeks to bring together on a common platform, global leaders and thinkers in the fields of sustainable development, energy and environment sectors.
- The theme of the Summit this year is ‘Partnerships for a Resilient Planet’.
- WSDS 2018 seeks to create action frameworks to resolve some of the most urgent challenges facing developing economies in the backdrop of climate change.
· Indias Aadhaar and Umang App win awards at world Government Summit 2018
- India’s Aadhaar and Umang Apphave won awards at recently concluded 6th World Government Summit 2018 in Dubai. Umang App won in Best m-Government Service.
- Umang App won in Best m-Government Service Award for Accessible Government Category and Aadhaar won in the Best Government Emerging Technologies Award.
- The award for it recognized India’s efforts of invention and innovation in the field of technology and making the country completely digitalized.
- Centre to change base year for GDP, IIP to 2017-18
- The government will change the base year to 2017-18 for the calculation of GDP and IIP numbers while for retail inflation the year will be revised to 2018, Union minister D V Sadananda Gowda said.
- The statistics ministry has proposed the new base year for GDP and IIP as 2017-18 while for CPI it will be 2018.
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MOSPI) has been allocated Rs 4,859 crore in the Union Budget 2018-19.
· Cauvery water dispute verdict Supreme Court informed Karnataka to provide 177 tmcft water to Tamil Nadu
- The Supreme Court is delivering its verdict on the decades-old Cauvery river water dispute casebetween the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Kerala.
- A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and justices A.M. Khanwilkar and D.Y. Chandrachud had on 20 September last year reserved the verdict on the appeals filed by Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala against the 2007 award of the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal (CWDT)on sharing of water.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Launched Three Key Projects In Arunachal Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched several projects in Arunachal Pradesh.
- He inaugurated the Dorjee Khandu state convention center at a function in Itanagar.
- The Centre has an auditorium, conference halls, and an exhibition hall.
- Prime Minister’s focus was also on the information revolution and now, the newly erected Secretariat building in the state capital is a big step in that direction.
- The building will have digital technology at its core and will have 2,500 officers and other employees.