The political Associations and activities in pre-Congress period in India and abroad regarding the Indian freedom struggle made it mandatory to form an All-India Association that would lead the country against the foreign rulers. Example Zamindari Association, The Indian Association of Calcutta, The Bombay Presidency Association
The Indian Association of Calcutta
- Surendranath Banerjee and Anand Mohan Bose founded the Indian Association of Calcutta in 1876.
- Founders of Indian Association of Calcutta were discontented with the pro-landlord and conservative policies of the British India Association that’s why they established this new Association.
- This association was aimed to unify Indian people on a common political programme and create a strong public opinion on political questions.
- East India association also organized an all India agitation known as the Civil Service Agitation after its formation.
The Bombay Presidency Association
- Pherozeshah Mehta, K.T. Telang, Badruddin Tyabji and others formed the Bombay Presidency Association in 1885.
- The reactionary policies of Lytton and the Ilbert Bill controversy caused political commotion in Bombay and led to the formation of Bombay Presidency Association.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-