- Amending the Constitution to effect simultaneous elections would fundamentally alter its democratic and federal character.
- a disdain for the parliamentary system and the federal arrangement
- Logistics costs involved is very highly:
- Need heavy deployment of security officials and staffs
- Even current elections are conducted in multiple phase to dela with the varying geographical locations.
- Buying Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) and Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) machines would cost Rs 9,284.15 crore, the EC told the House panel.
- State and national elections are often fought on different sets of issues — and in simultaneous elections, voters may end up privileging one set over the other in ways they might not have done otherwise.
- If we enforce the system of simultaneous elections, we would need to curtail the legislature’s power to unseat a government.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-