- 74l lpg connections to poor in current fiscal: govt
- About 7.74 lakh domestic cooking gas connections have been distributed to the poor women in Chhattisgarh under the Prime Minister ‘Ujjwala’ project during the current financial year , officials informed.
- A total of 17.74 lakh Below Poverty Line (BPL) level women have been allocated LPG cylinders since the launch of ‘Ujjwala’ project 19 months ago.
- Ten lakh gas connections have been provided in the last fiscal 2016-2017. The ‘Ujjwala’ project was launched on 13th August 2016. The Food, Civil Supllies and Consumer Protection Department officials said that they have received 11 lakh 21 thousand applications this year.
- Under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, gas connections and cylinders are being provided in remote areas at an accelerated pace, officials informed.
- Chhattisgarh is the first state of the country, where distributors in 50 remote areas have been appointed and 7525 women of remote areas have been provided LPG connection. Women of remote areas in state are easily availing the LPG connection and refill facility, they informed.
- It is noteworthy that under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, 98 remote area distributors are supposed to be appointed in two phases for ensuring supply of gas cylinders. In the first phase, distributors have begun to work in 50 places of 19 districts. In the second phase, construction of godowns in 48 places is doing on at an accelerated pace.
- India to overtake China as fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- India will overtake China to be the fastest growing large economy in 2018 and the country’s equity market will become the fifth largest in the world, says a report.
- According to a Sanctum Wealth Management report, when the rest of the world offers low growth and insufficient structural change, India, by contrast, is seen as a reforming economy with the prospect of strong long-term growth.
- At a time when developed economies are cheering 2-3 per cent growth, India is focused on breaching 7.5 per cent, it said.
· Apple named the world’s most admired company for 2018
- Technology giant Apple topped Fortune magazine’s list of the ‘World’s Most Admired Companies’for 2018.
- E-commerce giant Amazon has retained its second spot, followed by Google’s parent Alphabet.
- Social media giant Facebook lost its place in the top ten most admired companies this year and was ranked 12th on the list.
- Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban Launches Smart Star-Rating
- Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing and Urban Affairs along with the Chief Minister of Goa, Shri Manohar Parrikar launched the ‘Protocol for Star Rating of Garbage-Free Cities’ in Goa.
- The star-rating initiative, developed by the Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban will be rating cities on a 7-star rating system based on multiple cleanliness indicators.
- Cities can be rated as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7 star based on their compliance with the protocol conditions specified for each of the rating.
- Further city should be ODF(Open Defecation Free) before it could be given rating of 3 star or above.
- While cities may self-declare themselves as 1-star, 2-star or 4-star, MoHUA will carry out an additional verification through an independent third party to certify cities as 3-star, 5-star or 7-star.
- Cities will need to get recertified themselves every year to retain their star-status.
- Centre to declare 2018 as National year of millets
- Nutrient-rich millets have got a boost with the Union government deciding to declare 2018 as the ‘national year of millets’.
- This decision has been taken following a request by Karnataka, which is the country’s leader in the millet sector.
- At the inauguration of the three-day international trade fair of organics and millets, Union Statistics and Programme Implementation Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda said the Union Agriculture Ministry had already completed the formalities in this regard.
- Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) Crosses One Crore Mark
- Shri J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare expressed heartfelt gratitude to the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for his un-daunting support to the Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA), as the programme crossed one crore mark in antenatal check-ups.
- The Union Health Minister stated that Hon’ble Prime Minister of India had envisioned that 9th of every month, symbolizing the 9 months of pregnancy, should be dedicated to pregnant women.
- The PMSMA programme was launched in 2016 to fulfil his vision and ensure comprehensive and quality antenatal checkups to pregnant women across India.
· India’s 1st Garbage Festival Organised in Chhattisgarh
- The Raipur Municipal Corporation in Chhattisgarh organized the three-day ‘Kachra Mahotsav 2018′.
- It is India’s first Garbage Festival.
- The festival aimed to increase awareness, use the waste generated in the city creatively, and to showcase multiple techniques for reusing things that are labeled as garbage.
· Sushma Swaraj Inaugurates Puducherrys 1st POPSK at Karaikal
- The first Post Office Passport Seva Kendra(POPSK) of Puducherry was inaugurated by Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Minister for External Affairs at Karaikal.
- The POPSK at Karaikal is the 60th POPSK to have become functional since the launch of the scheme in January 2017.
- It is the first POPSK to become operational in the UT of Puducherry.
· Arun Jaitley Launches National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal
- The Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley launched the National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portalin Delhi.
- This initiative is a significant step towards driving accountability and transparency for corporate India.
- The portals’ easy accessibility to the general public will ensure a high level of compliance and will also help in institutionalizing and consolidate the CSR activities.
- The launch of the portals will bring 100 percent transparency in corporate governance by making public over 4-crore filings of nearly 1.2 million companies.
· Om Prakash Rawat appointed as New Chief Election Commissioner
- Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat was appointed as the next Chief Election Commissioner (CEC)of India.
- Rawat is the 22nd CEC of India.
- He succeeded Achal Kumar Joti.
- The government also appointed former finance secretary Ashok Lawasa as an Election Commissioner.
- Mr Rawat will take over the office from 23rd January 2018 onwards. Sunil Arora is the other Election Commissioner.
· India Defeats Pakistan to Win Blind Cricket World Cup 2018
- India beat Pakistan by two wickets to win the Blind Cricket World Cup 2018 for the second time after a thrilling match at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, the UAE.
- Hosts Pakistan had set India a target of 308 runs at a loss of eight wickets in their allotted 40 overs after they were put into bat.
- India conquered the modest target in the 39th over, with two balls to spare and eight wickets lost. For his brilliant all-around performance, Sunil Ramesh was declared the man of the match.