- CM moots Sports Devpt Authority for Chhattisgarh
- Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel said a Sports Development Authority will be set up in the state for better coordination to host national and international level sports activities.
- The CM directed the concerned officials to place a proposal for it. The state policy level decisions for sports will be taken through it.
- Chief Minister said that efforts should be made to promote sports by enhancing the activities. All the sports infrastructure of the state should be put to maximum use.
- India, Russia sign Rs 1500 crore deal for R-27 air-to-air missiles
- Boosting its capabilities in beyond visual range warfare, India has signed a deal worth around Rs 1,500 crore to acquire R-27 air-to-air missiles from Russia to be equipped on the Su-30MKI combat aircraft.
- The Russian missiles with an extended range would give an added capability to the Sukhois to take on enemy aircraft at long ranges.
- The missiles have been acquired under 10-I projects which mandate the three services to maintain critical weapon systems and spares for a specified minimum period.
- The R-27 missile is a medium-to-long-range air-to-air missile developed by Russia for its MiG and Sukhoi series of fighter jets.
- IIT Hyderabad develops low-cost, eco-friendly solar cells using ‘kumkum dye’
- Scientists at IIT Hyderabad have developed low-cost, environment-friendly solar cells by employing an off-the-shelf dye used to make kumkum or vermilion in India.
- The dye-sensitised solar cell (DSSC) is based on New Fuchsin (NF) dye with aqueous electrolyte and platinum-free counter electrodes.
- The most familiar solar cells today are made up of silicon and can be seen in the various overhead panels and other places.
- This technology is limited by huge fabrication costs as silicon processing is very expensive.
- Pakistan opens 1000-year-old Shawala Teja Singh temple in Punjab for worship after 72 years
Pakistan opened a 1,000-year-old Hindu temple in eastern city Sialkot for “worship” for the first time since partition on the demand of the local Hindu community.The Shawala Teja Singh temple, located in the city’s congested Dharowal locality, some 100-km from Lahore, is more than 1,000 years old.The evacuees Trust Property Board looks after the holy places of minorities in Pakistan has opened Shawala Teja Singh temple after the partition on the demand of the local Hindu community.
Hindus form the biggest minority community in Pakistan. According to official estimates, 75 lakh Hindus live in Pakistan. Around 90 lakh Hindus are living in the country. Majority of Pakistan’s Hindu population is settled in Sindh province where they share culture, traditions, and language with their Muslim fellows.
- Reliance Jio overtakes Vodafone-Idea network and became India’s Largest Telecom Operator
- Reliance Jio overtook Vodafone-Idea to become India’s leading telecom operator. While the monthly subscriber report from the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
- Bharti Airtel disclosed through TRAI its user base of 320.4 million users while enduring a rough quarter of high subscriber churn rate (subscribers unsubscribing from the network against new subscriptions). Jio’s recently disclosed Q1 FY20 financial report showed 331.3 million subscribers in its network.
Vodafone-Idea’s financial report for the same quarter, it has come to light that the operator group lost 14.1 million in Q1 FY20, declining from the industry-topping 334.1 million subscribers as of March 2019, to stand at 320 million subscribers.
- Indian Navy ship LCU L56 was commissioned into the Indian Navy at Visakhapatnam
- Indian Navy ship LCU L56 was commissioned into theIndian Navy at Visakhapatnam on 29 July. It was commissioned by Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, Eastern Naval Command. LCU L56 is the sixth ship of the MK IV class ships.
- The LCU L56 vessel will be used for transportation, deployment and recovery of main battle tanks, armoured vehicles, troops and equipment from ship to shore and vice-versa. LCU L56 would be administered and based in Port Blair under the Naval Component Commander (NAVCC) in Andaman and Nicobar Command (ANC).The measurement of the ship is 62 metres in length. It is fitted with two MTU diesel engines. These engines provides a sustainable speed of over 15 knots.
- Migration patterns in India : Report analysis
- As of 2011, Maharashtra was home to the highest number of internal migrants, most of whom hailed from Uttar Pradesh, the State which recorded the highest out People mostly migrated from one rural area to another.
- The highest number of international migrants were from Bangladesh. The data is part of the 2011 Census and was released recently.
- The first chart shows the top five States which had the highest number of outmigrants and the States the migrants headed to. The second chart shows the top five States which had highest number of in migrants and the States of their previous residence.
- People moving from one rural area to another accounted for over half of the total internal migrants, while rural to urban and urban to urban migration accounted for about 20% each.
- Migrants from Bangladesh to West Bengal accounted for over 30% of the total international migrants, the highest by a large margin.