- Gis based sweeping of streets in bilaspur soon
- The Bilaspur Municipal Corporation (BMC) will go for GIS based mechanical sweeping of streets under Smart City Mission, officials informed.
- The BMC will be developing ‘Common Municipal Solid Waste Management Facility’ (CMSWMF) for treatment and disposal of municipal solid waste generated from domestic, commercial, industrial activities.
- The solid waste being generated in the city is presently being openly disposed off in open dumping. There is no facility for processing Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) at Bilaspur which can reduce the associated environmental and public health problems of Bilaspur.
- The organic fraction of the waste will be converted to manure by aerobic windrow composting. For this -150 TPD compost and for low density, high calorific 100 TPD RDF plant are proposed at Kacchar, Bilaspur.
- The rejects and inert materials from the processing plant shall be land filled at the engineered sanitary landfill as per SWM rules 2016.
- Notably, Bilaspur has recently been included in Centre’s ‘Smart City Mission’. The Government plans to invest Rs 8,000 crore in developing Bilaspur into a Smart City.
- The State Urban Administration and Development Department will also soon take up the integrated solid waste management project planned for the city.
- Notably, Raipur and Bilaspur cities in Chhattisgarh which have been included among 100 other cities in the country for ‘Smart Cities’ Mission would also be developed as ‘green cities’.
- A total of nine cities selected under AMRUT are set to receive a major infrastructural facelift in Chhattisgarh.
- The cities chosen under the AMRUT Mission are—Raipur, Durg, Bhilai, Rajnandgaon, Bilaspur, Korba, Raigarh, Ambikapur and Jagdalpur.
- World Toilet Day: 19 November
- World Toilet Day (WTD) is an official United Nations international observance day, celebrated on 19 November, to raise awareness of the global sanitation crisis.
- This is done through public communications, campaigns, reports and events. Worldwide, 4.5 billion people live without safely managed sanitation.
- Theme for the year 2017 is ‘Wastewater.’
· Qatar the Richest Country in the World Per Capita
- Based on the per capita income of its people, Qatarhas been named the world’s richest country as per the recent International Monetary Fund (IMF) report.
- The per capita GDP (gross domestic product) of Qatar is over 81 lakh.
- With per capita GDP of over Rs. 38 lakh, the United States is at No. 12. India, with a GDP of over Rs. 4 lakh per person, is not even in the top 100.
- The Top 3 Countries in the list are
- Qatar– GDP of Rs. 81 lakh per person.
- Luxembourg– GDP of Rs. 70 lakh per person.
- Singapore– GDP of Rs. 60 lakh per person.
· Afghanistan Wins Maiden Under-19 Asia Cup
- Afghanistan stunned favorites Pakistan by a massive 185 runs to clinch their maiden Under-19 Asia Cup title, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Ikram Ali khil was the man of the match against Pakistan U19 in the ACC U19 Youth Asia Cup Final for his 107 not out and Mujeeb Zadran was the man of series for his 20 wickets in the tournament.
· NASA launches Joint Polar Satellite System-1
- TheNational Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)launched a next-generation satellite called the Joint Polar Satellite System-1 (JPSS-1).
- It was launched into orbit atop United Launch Alliance-built Delta II rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
- It is is first multi-day weather forecasts satellite in NOAA’s series of four, next-generation operational environmental satellites representing major advancements in observations used for severe weather prediction and environmental monitoring. It is designed to monitor weather around world and help improve forecasts.
· Gleadovia konyakianorum is a Parasitic plant found in Nagaland
- Scientists from Botanical Survey of India (BSI) have discovered a new species of parasitic flowering plant named Gleadovia konyakianorum.
- The species was named in honor of Konyak tribe of Nagas.
- The plant was discovered in the semi-evergreen forest at an altitude of 1,500-1,600 meters during an experiment.
- Though it has no chlorophyll, the plant has a vascular system and extracts its nutrition from the host plant with the help of a haustorium.
· RBL Bank Opens All Women Branch in Chennai
- Private sector RBL Bankhas set up an all-women branch in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- The branch would be managed by eight women and offer all products and services across liability and assets.
- RBL Bank currently serves 3.54 million customers. It has 246 branches and 389 ATM services across the country.
· Manushi Chhillar wins Miss World 2017 title
- India’s Manushi Chhillar (20)was crowned coveted Miss World crownfor the year 2017.
- The win comes 17 years after Priyanka Chopra brought home.
- The winner of 2016 title, Puerto Rico’s Stephanie Del Valle passed on her crown to Ms Chhillar at a grand event held in Sanya in China.
- She is sixth Indian woman to win the coveted title of Miss World. Reita Faria was first Indian woman to claim title back in 1966, followed by Aishwariya Rai.
- Indian Oil sets up India’s first electric vehicle charging station in Nagpur
- State-owned Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) announced launch of nation’s first electric vehicle charging in Nagpur.
- IOC, in collaboration with Ola, launched the country’s first electric charging station at one of its petrol-diesel stations in Nagpur.
- Nagpur is the first city to introduce Electric Public Transportation Model in India.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-