- Interstate crime meet to discuss Naxal threat
- The interstate crime conference, discontinued towards the end of last decade, is set to resume as city police are taking initiative to organize a mega one-day brainstorming sessions on crime, terrorism and Naxalism on August 28.
- Officers of the ranks of superintendent of police and above from Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra, especially Vidarbha, are expected to attend the conference. Crime branch is the nodal agency for the meeting. The main motive of the conference is to rein in inter-state gangs.
- Another objective is to pave way for better coordination and cooperation for sharing criminal intelligence, informations, crime data and records. At present, the exchange of information and collaboration is a mere formality.
- President Donald Trump signs memo banning transgender recruits from US military
- President Donald Trumpdirected the Pentagon to declare an indefinite ban on transgender individuals joining the military, but he appeared to leave open the possibility of allowing some already in uniform to remain in the military.
- The Obama administration in June 2016 changed longstanding policy declaring that troops could serve openly as transgender individuals.
- Around 2,500 transgender personnel may be serving on active duty, and 1,500 in the reserves.
- A New Bridge Over Mechi River at Indo-Nepal Borde
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to be signed between India and Nepal for laying down implementation arrangement on Cost sharing, Schedules and Safeguard issues for starting construction of a new Bridge over Mechi River at Indo-Nepal border.
- The cost of construction would be funded by Government of India through ADB loan. The new bridge is part of up-gradation of the Kakarvitta (Nepal) to Panitanki Bypass (India) on NH 327B. Mechi Bridge is the ending point of Asian Highway 02 in India leading to Nepal and provides critical connectivity to Nepal.
- The construction of the bridge will improve regional connectivity and has potential to strengthen cross border trade between both the countries and cementing ties by strengthening industrial, social and cultural exchanges.
· Union Government told to examine GM crops impact before rollout decision.
ð The Parliamentary Standing Committee has recommended that no Genetically Modified (GM) crop should be introduced unless the biosafety and socio economic desirability is evaluated in a transparent process.
ð The recommendation was made by the department-related parliamentary standing committee on science and technology and environment and forest.
ð The Committee also recommended that the Environment Ministry (MoEFCC) should examine the impact of GM crops regularly.
· Andhra Pradesh First to Implement Bharat QR Digital Payments.
- Andhra Pradesh’s Eastern Power Distribution Company Ltd (EPDCL) and the Southern Power Distribution Corporation of AP Ltd (SPDCL) have become the first state-owned distribution companies in India to accept payments through Bharat QR, the world’s first interoperable quick response code acceptance solution launched by the Reserve Bank of India.
- The Vizag Digital Dhan Sankalp project is an initiative spearheaded by the Government of Andhra Pradesh and Visa, to develop Visakhapatnam into India’s first “less–cash” city.
- Bharat QR is a secure, network-agnostic interface that enables customers to use their smartphones to make payments without divulging information like card numbers and CVV.
- MEA to Inaugurate First Videsh Bhavan in Mumbai
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has decided to integrate all its offices in Maharashtra into a single building – the “Videsh Bhavan” – for effective management of its engagement with the State Government of Maharashtra.
- Four offices of MEA in Mumbai, namely, (i) Passport Office, (ii) Office of the Protector of Emigrants, (iii) Office of the Regional Director of ICCR, and (iv) Branch Secretariat of MEA, will be integrated and will be functioning from the newly constructed “Videsh Bhavan”.
- The pilot project of the Videsh Bhavan of Mumbai is part of the Centre’s policy to bring together different offices of the MEA under a single roof and work closely with states as more and more Indians are going abroad for employment, education, business and tourism.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-