Main provisions of August offer are :
During the course of the 2nd World War, in order to secure the cooperation of the Indians, the British Government made an announcement on 8 August 1940, which came to be known as the ‘August Offer’, which proposed –
- Dominion status as the objective for India.
- Expansion of viceroy’s executive council & setting up of a constituent assembly after the war consisting of Indians to
- decide their constitution according to their social, economic and political conceptions
- subject to fulfilment of the obligation of the Government regarding defence, minority rights, treaties with states & all India services
- No future constitution to be adopted without the consent of minorities.
India’s Reaction to August offer
- The Congress rejected the August Offer
- Nehru said, “Dominion status concept is dead as a door nail”
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-