Education and Educational Infrastructure of Chhattisgarh
- School Education in Chhattisgarh is handled mainly by two departments namely the Department of Education and the Department of Tribal Welfare.
- The Department of School Education works with the State Council for Education Research and Training (SCERT) that is responsible for the development of curricula and also the development and recommendation of text books to be adopted by the educational institutions.
- The District Institute for Educational Training (DIET) is responsible for training of Teachers. The State Board for Secondary Education is responsible for secondary education and examinations in the state.
- Department of School Education is responsible for training of teachers, curricula development, development of text-books, standards of instructions, evaluation, examination and certification and research in the area of primary, upper primary and secondary education. It is responsible for the development of policy, strategy, setting goals, and programmes for implementation. It also manages government schools and oversees the performance of schools supported by government funds.
- The Rajiv Gandhi Siksha Mission (RGSM) is responsible for implementing the Sarva Siksha Abigyan (SSA) the universal access to primary education. Under this scheme of the central government the RGSM works closely with the Department of Public Instruction. This scheme opens schools where required and also appoints Siksha Karmis (teachers) as necessary.
- Similar scheme for the universal access to upper primary education is known as the Rashtriya Madhyamik Siksha Abigyan. This is being implemented by a separate structure.
- Chhattisgarh Board of Secondary Education is responsible for secondary education in the state and conducts examination at the secondary level.
- Chhattisgarh Text Book Corporation is responsible for publication of text books and its distribution in the state.
- Department of Tribal Welfare has the responsibility for management of schools established and funded under its budget for the tribal areas of the State
- The school education can be divided into elementary education consisting of primary, upper primary (Classes I-VIII), high school consisting of class IX & X and higher secondary education consisting of classes XI and XII.
- A number of departments are responsible for education in the State of Chhattisgarh, especially at the level of professionally oriented higher education. Department of Higher Education is responsible for non professional higher education and management of universities, other than those excluded by assignment of jurisdiction to another department.
- Higher education in the domain of agriculture, veterinary, medicine, nursing, and engineering is the responsibility of respective functional departments.
- Responsibility for allocations and expenditure is divided within the government, as each head of Grants is managed by a different department, which may not be responsible for the implementation of the state and national policy on elementary and secondary education.
- The budget of school education department provides for expenditure on management of government run and assisted schools and their expansion, training of teachers, research and other related areas; the budget allocated to Department of Tribal Welfare is for the management of government schools, which include residential schools.
Chhattisgarh houses some of the best centers of higher learning which provides courses in various disciplines. There are 14 universities in the state and are as follows:
- Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Chhattisgarh
- C. V. Raman University
- Guru Ghasidas University, Chhattisgarh
- Pandit Sundarlal Sharma (Open) University, Chhattisgarh
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Chhattisgarh
- Indian Institute of Management Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- Indira Gandhi Agricultural University, Chhattisgarh
- Kushabhau Thakre Patrkarita Avam Jansanchar Vishwavidyalaya, Chhattisgarh
- MATS University Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- National Institute of Technology-Raipur,Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- surguja university, Chhattisgarh
- Pandit Ravishankar Shukla University, Chhattisgarh
- Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Chhattisgarh
- Chhattisgarh University
Most of the colleges and institutions in the state are affiliated to any of these government recognized universities. The colleges in Chhattisgarh offer various courses in architecture, engineering, biotechnology, dental science, law, hotel management, medical, physiotherapy, mass communication, nursing, veterinary science and management.
The top professional courses taught in Chhattisgarh are:-
|Type of College||College Name||Degree|
|Engineering||Chhattisgarh Institute of Technology, Chhtrapati Shivaji Institute of Technology, Chouksey Engineering College||BE / B.Tech|
|Law||K R Law College, Seth RCS Law College, Government Chhattisgarh College||LL.B|
|Architecture||Dignity College of Architecture, Government Engineering College, G H Raisoni School of Architecture & Urban Planning||B.Arch|
|Management||Rani Durgawati Vishwavidyalaya, SN College of Material Management, Avdhesh Pratap Singh University||MBA|
|Medical||Government Medical College, Pandit J N M Medical College, Chhattisgarh Institute of Medical Sciences||MBBS|
Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA)
- Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS), launched in 2013 aims at providing strategic funding to eligible state higher educational institutions.
- The central funding (in the ratio of 65:35 for general category States and 90:10 for special category states) would be norm based and outcome dependent.
- The funding would flow from the central ministry through the state governments/union territories to the State Higher Education Councils before reaching the identified institutions.
- The funding to states would be made on the basis of critical appraisal of State Higher Education Plans, which would describe each state’s strategy to address issues of equity, access and excellence in higher education.
CGPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for CGPCS Prelims and CGPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by CGPCS Notes are as follows:-